Kinloch Cricket Club

Kinloch Cricket Club History

Club History

Kinloch Cricket Club was founded in 1905.

It is not by accident that Dundee has more urban parkland per head of population than any other city in Scotland. For years the city was famed for Jute, Jam and Journalism. The mill owners of the first named trade felt that although they wished their employees to labour long and hard whilst working, a pleasant location to spend their leisure time in, was also essential. Many of the parks in Dundee today were gifted to the city by the jute barons as they were known.Lochee Park in the city’s North Western suburbs was gifted to Dundee Council by the Cox Brothers. The specific instructions of the Cox family were hat cricket, be played on this park.

Lochee Park’s gates as they looked at the turn of the 20th century. Little has changed in their appearance over the years but the cricket that was played behind them altered dramatically from how it was in 1905, when Kinloch first played there. Once teams with such names as Roineach Mhor, Woodthorpe and St Mary Magdalane’s played there. Today, sadly it is a cricketing wilderness

The Cox siblings had a history of rather eccentric behaviour. They once had a platform large enough for a horse and cart to travel round, erected at the top of the large stack overlooking their mill. The idea was that they could ride round the platform in their coach, whilst watching their workers below. Sadly the technology did not exist to get the horse and coach up to the platform and thus it lies unused to this very day. When Lochee Park opened in 1890 it played host to a number of cricket teams. By the turn of the century teams of all descriptions played there. Many were simply groups of young men keen to play the game in their spare time. Teams with the name “Half Holiday” added to their title were but employees of one company or another who played the game on a designated day when they were allowed to finish work at lunchtime. Kinloch Cricket Club was born in the early years of the twentieth century. The name, although a well used one in and around Dundee, is Gaelic meaning head or top of the loch. Its origins linking it to the city are through its first Parliamentarian, George Kinloch. His family owned land in the small settlement of Kinloch in Fife and took their name from the area. If choice of name is easy enough to fathom, the date of the club’s founding is less so. The club’s Annual General Meeting of 1951, when considering the question of its Golden Jubilee concluded that: “it had not been possible to find out exactly when the club was formed. It seemed to be clear however that it began in the early years of the century, probably between 1902 and 1904” Kinloch are first seen in the Monday morning score captions in The Dundee Advertiser on May 14th 1906. Two days previously a match at Lochee Park with a Taybank X1 resulted in a tie with both sides scoring 31 runs each. Closer examination of the press around that time shows that many of the players who played, not only in that first Kinloch game, but in the first few seasons came originally from Inverary Cricket Club. The club is also first mentioned in The Dundee Directory of 1906-7. As the book was prepared the year previous, it is safe to tie the formation to around 1905, though the first game was not played until 1906 and it would seem likely it was that tied encounter with Taybank at Lochee Park. That first season saw Kinloch play in the Dundee and District Cricket Association Junior League. This was second division of the Association and contained such clubs as Taybank, Clydesdale, Elmbank (who would become arch rivals of the early years) and Raewood. It was in a match against the last named side that piece of Kinloch history that still stands unsurpassed today, was made. Bowling against Raewood at Lochee Park on Saturday 11th August 1906, Arthur Dibbs took all ten of the oppositions wickets. His figures of ten for 5 in Raewood’s total of 21 all out are the best, not only by a Kinloch bowler, but ever recorded at Lochee Park. Even more amazingly, Dibbs was only 15 when he took his “all ten”. He was one of the many players that had been at Inverary and then moved to Kinloch at the formation of the club. By 1908 he had returned to his former side.

Reproduced below is a copy of the scorecard from that historical day at Lochee Park.

Kinloch      
D.Caldwell bowled McLaren 0
M.McNicholl bowled McLaren 0
W.A.Dibbs ct McKay McLaren 2
P.Peebles bowled McKay 1
G.Batchelor ct & bld Mudie 10
D.Scott bowled McKay 6
J.C.Ross ct McKay Mudie 10
V.T.McKenzie bowled Reid 5
J.McNichol ct Milne McKay 29
W.Brown Not Out 17
R.Hunter ct McKay McLaren 0
    Extras 5 85
       
Raewood      
P.Duncan ct Caldwell Dibbs 5
J.Clark ct McKenzie Dibbs 2
D.Clark Not Out 11
J.McLaren ct Brown Dibbs 0
J.Mudie bowled Dibbs 0
F.Milne bowled Dibbs 0
R.Mudie bowled Dibbs 0
J.A.Reid bowled Dibbs 0
H.McKay bowled Dibbs 0
R.O’Brien bowled Dibbs 0
R.Cosier ct & bld Dibbs 0
    Extras 2 21
       

In 1907 Kinloch secured entry into the Dundee and District Senior Cricket Association. They had finished second to Taybank in the previous years Junior League but found life in the Senior League slightly harder and only recorded two wins. One victory away from the league set up saw another club land mark made. Fellow Lochee Park side Cliftonbank were bowled out for 8 in a friendly match in June 1907, Dibbs taking six for 9, and thus the record lowest total Kinloch have dismissed anyone for was set. It would be equalled twice in the next 25 years. The Dundee and District Senior Cricket Association recorded M.W.McNicoll of 40 Cleghorn Street, Dundee, as the secretary of Kinloch. This is a printing error as no M.W. McNicoll is listed as living at that address. Mathew Hill McNicoll on the other hand is registered as lodging in the household of James McNicoll at 40 Cleghorn Street in 1905. This would appear to be the first ever secretary of Kinloch Cricket Club. McNicoll, who was a wholesale confectionary clerk , was well thought of, as by 1909 he was an office bearer with The Dundee and District Senior Cricket Association, holding the position of Auditor. McNicoll would captain Kinloch on three separate occasions before the First World War. Along with Victor McKenzie, the club’s first captain, he was responsible for the foundation of Kinloch and after McKenzie returned to Inverary, became its leading light in the formative years.


Mathew McNicholl one of the club founders.

As well as being the driving force behind Kinloch in the years from it’s formation up to the outbreak of World War 1, Mathew McNicoll was also a more than reasonable cricketer.
From 1906 to 1908, he was one of the leading bowlers with best figures of seven for 9 against Hermon in 1906. From 1909 onwards he was more of a batsman with a highest score of 57 against Cupar in 1912 – at the time the best by a Kinloch player.


Arthur Dibbs took 10 for 5 in 1906

Athol Winston first man to score a 100 for Kinloch in Arbroath in 1929


John Morrison took 430 wickets in 7 seasons in 1930s and one of only two men to take 100 wickets in a season. He took the most ever with 123 in 1933.

Kinloch team in 1956

Kinloch captain Jack Hirst after we won 1965 Lochee Park Championship.

Kinloch at Arbroath 1982